Submitted by: Howard M. Nathan, President and CEO, Gift of Life Donor Program
Every April, National Donate Life Month raises awareness about organ and tissue donation. Across the country, activities take place to inspire Americans to register as organ, eye, and tissue donors. There are many ways you and your company can support this life-saving effort.
Critical need for organ donors
The need for organ donors is a serious public health issue, affecting your employees, your customers, and their families. Approximately 115,000 people are waiting for an organ in the U.S., and 20 people die waiting every day. In our region, 5,300 men, women, and children are waiting for a life-saving transplant.
As business leaders, you can help them by raising awareness about the importance of registering as an organ donor. The need is especially pronounced in Philadelphia County, which has the lowest organ donor designation rate in Pennsylvania.
Just one organ donor can save up to eight lives and one tissue donor can benefit as many as 75 others. Last year, our region, with its world-renowned transplant centers and generous donor families, led the nation in the number of organ donors and life-saving transplants. Imagine what we could do if we all worked together to improve registration rates.
The most effective way to address this need is to educate and encourage people to register as organ donors at donors1.org or at a local DMV. It takes less than a minute online.
Here’s how your company can help:
- Provide links to register on your web and social media sites. Here is a sample post:
115,000 people in the U.S. are waiting for a life-saving organ transplant. Register your decision to give the gift of life at donors1.org/registry.
- Include information and a link to register as a donor in your internal communications and forms (onboarding, benefits renewal) and in external communications.
- Provide brochures with information on the importance of registering as a donor.
- Encourage organ donor registration at company health fairs and blood drives.
- Host transplant recipients, donor families, and organ donation professionals to speak at company programs.
- Offer discounts or giveaways to employees and customers who are registered as donors.
Gift of Life Donor Program is the non-profit, federally-designated organ procurement organization serving 11.2 million people across the eastern half of Pennsylvania, southern New Jersey, and Delaware.
For more information about organ donation, guest speakers, materials, or partnership opportunities, please contact Todd Franzen, Gift of Life Community Relations Supervisor TFranzen@donors1.org.