Career pathways for middle school students
On May 23, 2019, 14 School District of Philadelphia sixth-grade classes will participate in a half-day career experience at 25 prominent area businesses. Each visiting group of students consists of 10 – 20 children for ample student/adult interaction.
AGENDA FOR THE DAY
- 9:15 – 10:15 AM: Student transportation to host companies
- 9:45 – 10:15 AM: Students arrive at host companies (time is variable due to morning traffic, road conditions, school-based issues, etc.)
Times below are approximate depending on the time students arrive at the host company.
- 10:00 – 10:30 AM: Welcome and introductions to the day’s activities and host company (including snack and bathroom break). The Chamber representative at your company will have a brief introduction about the program to share.
- 10:30 – 11:30 AM: Unique on-site interactive experience
- 11:30 AM – 12:00 PM: Meetings and activities with HR and accounting professionals to understand what type of work they do, the types of jobs in this industry, and the education and experience needed for these jobs. Time should include a hands-on HR or accounting activity.
- 12:00 – 12:30 PM: Lunch provided on site by the host company. Additional colleagues from the host company are encouraged to join the group to talk with the students. Lunch is a great time for C-Level Executive to stop by for a casual conversation and Q&A with the students.
- 12:30 – 1:00 PM: Meetings with marketing professionals to understand what type of work they do, the types of jobs in this industry, and the education and experience needed for those jobs. Time should include a hands-on marketing activity.
- 1:00 – 1:30 PM: Students awarded participation certificates provided by the Chamber. Please also allot time for the Student & Teacher Surveys (10 minutes) and closing remarks. The Chamber will be providing and collecting the surveys.
- 1:30 – 2:15 PM: Students return to school
Past Host Companies
Become a Host Company
Host companies have the unique opportunity to engage Philadelphia middle school students and change lives.
The program provides students with in-classroom instruction followed by a unique experience where they visit your company to meet and interact with professionals in a workplace environment. The professionals, from a variety of fields and backgrounds, explain what they do and the type of education and experience that it took to get where they are today. The program shows students the importance of setting goals and developing a plan to achieve those goals. It also exposes students to a work environment that they may be unfamiliar with or may not have access to otherwise.