Greater Philadelphia has a rich network of world-renowned research institutions, biotech and contract research organizations, and inventors of medicines, medical devices, and diagnostics. Eighty percent of the U.S. pharmaceutical and biotech industry has a presence in the corridor that includes Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. This strong industry presence is complemented by 15 major health systems.
It’s no surprise that our tri-state community is a national leader in clinical trials, that we are pioneering personalized medicine, or that medical miracles are taking place here.
Below, we’ve featured a few recent achievements that highlight our region’s assets in the life sciences:
- CEO Council for Growth launches initiative to advance Cell & Gene Therapy and Connected Health »
- Rowan University pilots new biomedical hub in Camden »
- Biopharmaceutical company Amicus Therapeutics to open a new Global Research and Gene Therapy Center in University City »
- University of Pennsylvania’s gene therapy program to receive $13 million from National Institute of Health »
- Swiss drug marker Roche to acquire Spark Therapeutics »
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia unveils $75 million clinical manufacturing facility »
Our region will have an opportunity to tout these achievements and more at the upcoming BIO International Convention, which will be held in Philadelphia this year from June 3 and 6. This is the largest convention for the biopharma industry — attracting about 16,000 attendees, 40% of which are international guests. Numerous scientists and business professionals living and working in the Greater Philadelphia region will share their work or participate in educational panels. Many of our renowned institutions, including Pennovation, the University City Science Center, the Coriell Institute, Incyte, and the Navy Yard (which is home to GSK, Wuxi AppTec, Adaptimmune, and others) will be featured in tours.
CEO Council for Growth and Select Greater Philadelphia Council have organized a Regional Host Committee, comprised of academic, business, and civic organizations to maximize marketing activities that support the 2019 BIO International Convention. For more information, contact Matt Cabrey at email@example.com.